Friday, June 13, 2008

Floods of 2008

Pedestrian bridge leading from west side of Principal Park
Principal Park
Principal Park looking southeast
Court Ave bridge and red pedestrian bridge looking north
Looking at northeast side of Principal park
We went on a drive today downtown since we only live about 5 minutes away. We aren't affected we are up high enough. We do have some water in our basement that you can see pouring through 3 spots where the wall meets the floor, but ou sump pump is keeping up really good, so our water has only gotten maybe 2 inches deep. Downtown Des Moines is pretty crazy. A drive I make mulitple times a week caught me by surprise as how high the water has gotten. The entire parking lot at Principal Park is underwater. The water is crashing right through the bridges downtown and are very close to going overtop of them, which they are saying could happen tonight. I got some pics before something went wrong with my camera and I couldn't take anymore. Here is what I saw. Noah said "Can I get out and throw something in the river", I told him, "we don't need to throw anything else in there, there is enough in the river", he said, "but mom I don't want to put more water in the river just throw a rock or stick or something." I still told him no, but there wern't any rocks or sticks nearby to throw in!

No comments: